By Lucas Wiseman
MUNICH, Germany - More than 350 players from 66 countries were celebrated Thursday night as the opening ceremonies officially ushered in the 2010 World Tenpin Bowling Association World Men's Championships.
The players took part in the traditional march out of the teams at Dream Bowl Palace, a 52-lane bowling center in suburban Munich that opened nine months ago.
The Championships begin with the singles event Friday morning. Qualifying will take place over five squads (three Friday and two Saturday) with the top four players after six games advancing to the semifinals Saturday afternoon.
Team USA's Rhino Page and Patrick Allen will compete on the opening qualifying squad and will be the only U.S. players competing Friday. The Americans will then field Bill O'Neill and Chris Barnes in the first squad Saturday morning and Wes Malott and Tommy Jones will compete on the final qualifying squad Saturday afternoon.
The 2010 WTBA World Men's Championships features 358 competitors from 65 countries competing for medals in six events - five-player team, trios, doubles, singles, all-events and Masters match play.
Team USA bowls the practice session BowlingDigital.com will provide live streaming of the semifinals and finals of each event and coverage can also be viewed live on BOWL.com. Here's the live streaming schedule:
- Saturday, Aug. 14, 12:30 p.m., singles semifinals and final
- Monday, Aug. 16, Noon, doubles semifinals and final
- Wednesday, Aug. 18, 2 p.m., trios semifinals and final
- Friday, Aug. 20, 1:30 p.m., team semifinals and final
- Saturday, Aug. 21, 2 a.m., Masters Round of 16 and quarterfinals
- Saturday, Aug. 21, 7 a.m., Masters semifinals and final